The ArcGIS Book
10 Big Ideas about Applying Geography to Your World
Explore ten “big ideas” that encapsulate the technological and social trends that have pushed geographic information systems (GIS) onto the Internet in a significant way. See how to apply these ideas to your own world. Open your eyes to what is now possible with Web GIS, and put the technology and deep data resources in your hands via the Quickstarts and Learn ArcGIS lessons that are included in each chapter.
The 10 Chapters of the ArcGIS Books Details Maps, Web and the You!
- Maps, the Web and You
- Power and possibility with Web GIS
- Cartography is for everyone
- New way to make, see and use maps
- Tell your story using a map
- Inform,engage, and inspire people with story maps
- Great Maps need great data
- Creating and using authoritative geographic data
- Importance of Where
- How spatial analysis leads to insight
- Mapping the third Dimension
- A change in perspective
- The Power of Apps
- Focused tool that get work done
- Your GIS is Mobile
- The GIS of the whole world plus a life data sensor in your pocket
- Real time Dashboards
- Integrating live data feeds for managing operations
- GIS is Socail
- Web GIS is the GIS of the World
The ArcGIS Book: 10 Big Ideas About Applying Geography to Your World
This book helps you understand and use Web GIS, a powerful mapping technology that is transforming the way we apply and share geographic information. Each “big idea” is part of the ArcGIS platform and it’s big because it empowers you, enabling you to do new things and to accomplish familiar tasks more quickly and with ease.
This is a hands-on book that you work with as much as read. By the end, using Learn ArcGIS lessons, you’ll be able to say you made a story map, conducted geographic analysis, edited geographic data, worked in a 3D web scene, built a 3D model of Venice, and more.
Interact with The ArcGIS Book online at www.TheArcGISBook.com.
The print version is available from major booksellers.
Christian Harder is a writer at Esri and author of Understanding GIS: An ArcGIS Project Workbook Esri Press, 2013, as well as number of other books on GIS. Harder is also the founder and former manager of Esri Press.
ISBN: 9781589484498 2015 152 pages